Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Spotted: Suzanne Yee, Bay Area Portrait Artist

Suzanne Yee is a lifelong artist. She tells us, “People have been my favorite subject since I was 6 years old, when I padded my stick figures, trying to make them look more realistic. Since then I’ve learned a lot more about anatomy, which is still one of my favorite subjects.” She is always studying and learning. In 2009, she took a portrait painting intensive because she wanted to learn from the teacher, Carl Dobsky. “His portraits were different from others I had seen,” she says and continuing, “More emotional and powerful, yet quiet. I had done portraits of friends and family before, but it was only after taking that painting intensive that I considered painting portraits professionally.” And so she began focusing part of her art on painting couples.


Suzanne says she enjoys working with couples because she’s a romantic at heart. In her work she tries her best to bring out the body language that expresses the trust, playfulness and affection between two people. We love this and think her art is a great idea for a gift for your honey or perhaps even a wedding gift for a couple. Should you do a sitting with Suzanne, you can expect a low-key, relaxed setting for the photo and modeling session. And she’s happy to show you the portrait’s progress with photos throughout the process it takes for the final piece of art to be completed. She says many couples enjoy watching the portrait evolve as it moves toward the finish. “Seeing yourself in a painting or drawing is like hearing your name in another language, exotic and familiar at the same time,” she says. “I like to create that moment of recognition, and make it a pleasant surprise.” We couldn’t agree more. We adore Suzanne’s work.

No comments:

Post a Comment