Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Vendor Spotlight: Penelope Jane, Cake Designer

Penelope Jane, Cake Designer
http://www.penelopejane.com/

For Penelope Jane, life is sweet. She has been baking professionally for 13 years, starting her career working at 4-star restaurants and 5-star/5-diamond hotels in New York. She moved back to Napa four years ago and now runs her own company, baking about 60 wedding cakes a year.

Her favorite thing about her job: “When I can make the perfect wedding cake look fabulous- that is my reward. And to hear the thank-yous from the bride and groom is even better.”

Aside from her creating unique wedding cakes, Penelope designs all the elopement cakes for Harvest Inn and Solage at Free Reign. She describes them as “little 6-inch cakes for the day, sometimes they're larger. They pick the flavor and I design whatever I want to on it.”

So what keeps her creativity fresh? “Trying to reach my personal goals inspires me. However, the biggest inspiration to me is my husband (also a chef). He keeps me motivated to try new things and think outside the box. We brainstorm together and, because he is so passionate about his cooking, we often talk food.”

What can you can expect from Penelope?
Dedication: She hand-makes and custom designs each delicious creation, using only high-quality local ingredients.
Professionalism: If she feels she can’t execute what the bride and groom want, she won’t bake the cake.
Originality: Her own wedding cake is proof. Surviving on PB&J sandwiches while baking in New York, she decided to “bake homage” to the famous sandwich and create a delicious Peanut Butter & Jelly Wedding Cake for her and her husband’s special day.


And there’s no reason she can’t do that for you!

1 comment: