Monday, June 28, 2010

Vendor Spotlight: Cakework, Wedding Cakes

Cakework has been creating unique and stunning custom cakes in the Bay Area for about 25 years. Cecile Gady, a true artist, has a background in clay sculpture. It was after working as a pastry chef at a popular SF restaurant that she realized she could make sculpture-like desserts that the public loved.

From the start of her business she knew she wanted to make wedding cakes: “I wanted to customize them and make them more personal. I knew I could do it. There were no custom wedding cake makers to my knowledge in SF at that time, and I wanted to try out the idea.”


Cecile keeps staff low so each person can concentrate on the entire process as much as possible. Her enjoyment comes from seeing a cake progress from step one to the beautiful end. The highlight? “When the decorated cake is on the table at the reception and the couple is extremely happy."

Extremely client-centered, almost all of what Cecile does is done with her clients’ desires in mind. “I am able to take off and use free reign when I am creating cakes for magazines, shows or for display. I made a beautiful Indian inspired mehndi cake with great colors and beautiful gold flower accents. I also did a great Louis Vuitton bag that came out perfect.”

There's also something else unique about Cakework: her cakes are wrapped and decorated entirely in chocolate. She doesn’t use fondant. And she’s a stickler for refined follow-through. “Every step of the way to making a finished product is important,” she says. “I watch every detail that goes into the whole process. When the cake is ready for decorating, I focus on every little element. I want to see clean lines, good color matches, and an overall look that is beautiful.” Take a bite of that.


To view more of Cakework’s beautiful cakes, visit: http://www.cakework.com/

3 comments: