Friday, April 9, 2010

Vendor Spotlight: Thor Swift, Photographer



“Photography opened up a whole new world to me.” Thor Swift has been drawn to images all his life, spending his younger years pouring over copies of National Geographic, fascinated by the images of other cultures and people. By the time he graduated, he photographed everything from international business leaders to people on the fringes of society. He also worked in Eastern Europe, witnessing some wonderful people and events. He used a few of these images to create a story that was syndicated by the Associated Press.

So what does Thor like about shooting weddings: “They’re a celebration of life: it is just that simple. I am able to be a part of one of the most important celebrations of the human spirit,” and continuing, “Every wedding is an opportunity for complete creative freedom on my part. The couples we work with understand that to best document their celebration, it is best to allow their personality to blossom with out interference. My ultimate goal is to reflect the complete person and not impose my personality on a photograph.”

And what keeps Thor’s creativity fresh? “My 10-year-old twins. They get me up in the morning. And it is the joy that each day brings with the possibility of meeting some new people, learning their stories, and hopefully making some photographs.” He could list the photographers, writers, artists who are his inspirations but one truly stands out: his grandfather, Loren Hansen. A cattle rancher in Idaho; he loved the land and animals he worked with. He was a man of few words, but he truly loved what he did.

And so does Thor : “I love what I do and I think it shows in every aspect of my work. My style of photography is very emphatic; I’m able to get a sense of who someone is and communicate this to others. If a photographer does not truly love all people, I think they will not be a true success.”

This is a photographer worth talking to. View his beautiful work at
http://www.thorswiftstudio.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment